Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A 4 year old's level of understanding

I was watching a show on tv last night and they were talking about adoption. I've been trying to figure out for some time how and when to tell Chandler he is adopted. So since he was paying attention to the show I thought it would be an opportune time to tell him about it. Here's how the conversation went:

Mom: "Chandler did you know that you're adopted?"
Chandler: "Nope"
Mom: "Do you know what adopted means?"
Chandler: "Nope"
Mom: "It's when you grow inside someone else's tummy and then me and daddy got to take you home. Isn't that cool?!"
Chandler: "Mom...I farted." [big grin]

Needless to say, I think I'll wait a while longer before I try and explain it to him again.

6 comments:

Baden and Emily said...

That is soooooooo funny! I almost farted while I was laughing!

tamiz said...

Nothing like a fart to ruin a good moment.

Just Monkeyin' Around said...

That sounds just like Rady...the other day we were in JB's restaurant and he came out of the bathroom and yelled,"Mmmooommm...I went poop!"

Elizabeth said...

Too funny!

Unknown said...

What a funny kid! He might say the same thing when he is a little older though too. Boys love that stuff!

Tirsa said...

They just don't seem to care too much about it at this age. But, I've tried to always talk about it here and there so that there is never one big moment when they "find out".